Pre-Law advising is available to all Rice undergraduate students and alumni who are interested in law school. Admission to law school is based primarily on undergraduate grade point average as well as the score on the Law School Admission Test (LSAT), but the quality of a student’s experiences and accomplishments and recommendations are also significant components of a law school application. An OAA advisor can assist you as you make important decisions about your path.
Rice University does not offer a pre-law major or minor. We encourage students to take full advantage of the inherent flexibility, breadth, and depth of the Rice curriculum in order to develop traits that are necessary for a potential career in law: strong critical and analytical skills; the ability to think, write, and speak clearly and effectively; and a mature understanding of moral and ethical issues.
The OAA sponsors programs and distributes information to students throughout the year to all students considering careers in law. All pre-law students are invited and encouraged to join Rice Pre-Law Society, which offers a variety of programs and activities. Request to join their Facebook group here and sign up here to be added to their Listserv.
Current Rice students and Rice alumni may join our Pre-Law newsletter mailing list. If you would like to be added to the mailing list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your First Name, Last Name, Email and Graduation Date. This newsletter communicates updates and events for students interested in pursuing a career in the legal field.
Fall 2020 Events
- LSAC Virtual Law Forum │ Saturday, September 26th 1:00-6:30 pm CDT │ Register HERE │ Learn more about how to make the most of your law forum HERE
- Law School Personal Statement Workshop │ Wednesday, September 30th 7 pm CDT │ Register here │ Facebook event here
- LSAC Virtual Law Forum │ Tuesday, October 13th 1:00-6:30 pm CDT │ Register HERE │ Learn more about how to make the most of your law forum HERE
- Virtual Law School Application Review with GW, Cornell, and UCLA Law School Admissions │ Friday, October 16th 3-5 pm CDT │ Register here │ Facebook Event here
- Rice Night with Harvard Law School Admissions │ Monday, October 19th 7 pm CDT │ Register here
- LSAT-Flex Office Hours │ Thursday, October 22nd 10-11 am CDT │ Register here
- LSAC Virtual Law Forum │ Wednesday, November 4th 1:00-6:30 pm CST │ Register HERE │ Learn more about how to make the most of your law forum HERE
- LSAC Virtual Law Forum │ Saturday, December 12th 1:00-6:30 pm CST │ Register HERE │ Learn more about how to make the most of your law forum HERE