Transfer Students

The Office of Academic Advising (OAA) is committed to helping make transfer students’ transition to Rice University and its academic system easier. Depending on the specific situation and the number of credits completed at the previous institution(s), transferring to Rice can involve a degree of work on your part with our guidance to fully determine your “starting point”. You will be able to make the process go as smoothly as possible by saving syllabi of your courses at your previous institution.

For work completed prior to matriculation, the Office of the Registrar in conjunction with the academic departments determine whether courses are appropriate for transfer to Rice either as Rice equivalent courses or as TRAN, general elective hours. TRAN will be indicated either as lower- (TRAN 100) or upper-level (TRAN 300) and will count toward the total credit hours needed for graduation. If the TRAN credit is designated by the Office of the Registrar as upper-level, it will also count toward the upper-level credit hour requirement. If courses initially transferred as TRAN credit are subsequently granted Rice equivalent course credit by the Office of the Registrar and the corresponding academic department, the Rice equivalent course is listed on the student’s transcript instead and may be used to satisfy the same university and major requirements as the course offered at Rice.

Transfer Student Resources


Monday - Friday

8:30 am - 12:00 pm

1:00 pm - 5:00 pm 


Phone | 713.348.4060

Email |


Office of Academic Advising MS-529

Rice University, Ley Student Center, Suite 132

6100 Main Street

Houston, TX 77005