Do you have pre-health questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org!
The Office of Academic Advising provides resources and individual advising for Rice students and alumni who are considering careers in health-related occupations. While most students are familiar with medicine and dentistry, there are many other paths that lead to careers in health care settings, such as pharmacy, optometry, public health, podiatry, physical therapy, and occupational therapy, along with veterinary medicine for individuals who have a desire to work with animals. The OAA aims to expose all interested students to the variety of career opportunities available in the health professions arena, assist students in identification of and participation in appropriate developmental activities in preparation for postgraduate programs, and guide students during the application process.
Health Professions Advising Annual Events
- Freshman Health Professions Advising Orientation
Freshman Health Professions Advising Orientation: Early in the fall semester, the OAA provides an introduction to the health professions and ways to begin preparing early for potential health profession tracks. This presentation is particularly helpful for new, first-year students.
This year's session will be held on Wednesday, August 23, 2023 from 6:00 - 7:00pm in Rice Memorial Center's Grand Hall. If you were unable to attend the session you can listen to the recording HERE
- Sophomore Health Professions Session
Also in the fall semester, the OAA provides information for sophomores who are progressing towards the health professions application process.
This year's session will be held on Wednesday, August 23, 2023 from 6:00 - 7:00pm in Ley Student Center's Farnsworth Pavilion. If you were unable to attend the session you can listen to the recording HERE
- Open File Workshops for Medical/Dental School Applicants
Rice has a committee letter of recommendation process for pre-medical and pre-dental applicants. We call this process Open File. You may find more information about the Open File process on our Open File website.
Information on Open File for entry year 2025 will be shared in October 2023.
Health Professions Newsletter
Current Rice students and recent Rice alumni may join our health professions newsletter mailing list. Anyone indicating an interest in pre-health upon entering Rice was automatically added to the newsletter. If you would like to be added to the mailing list, please email email@example.com with your first name, last name, email, and expected graduation date. This newsletter communicates updates and events for students interested in pursuing a career in the health professions.
Special Programs Info Sessions
- Click here to view a presentation on the FlexMed Program from a recent Rice student
- Click here to view a presentation on the Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP) from a current Rice student (Enter passcode: %92N5J#X)
Health Professions Scholarships
Dr. York Lancaster Merit Award- established for Rice students as a memorial to honor a 1938 Rice alum, Dr. York Lancaster. Awarded annually every summer to a qualifying freshman premed student who graduated from a Texas high school and has the highest cumulative GPA at Rice.
Several Navy Medical Programs scholarships are available for students interested in the armed forces.
- Navy Health Professions Scholarship Program
- Navy Health Services Collegiate Program - Medical Corps and Physician Assistant School
- Nurse Candidate Program
- Medical and Dental Financial Assistance Program
Additional Pages and Links
- Pre-Health and Test Prep Resources The OAA has curated a number of helpful resources for your pre-health journey, including a set of free test prep resources for the MCAT, DAT, PCAT, and GRE.
- Joint Admission Medical Program (JAMP) JAMP, the Joint Admission Medical Program, is a Texas specific program created to support and encourage highly qualified, economically disadvantaged students pursuing a medical education within the Texas Medical School system. Interested applicants should read our information for prospective students.
- Gap Years A growing number of Rice students (and pre-professional students across the nation) take time off between their Bachelor's degree and professional degree for a gap year or growth year.
- Health Professions Advising Committee (HPAC) Letter/Open File Rice has a committee letter of recommendation process for pre-medical and pre-dental applicants. We call this process Open File.