The Office of Academic Advising provides resources and individual advising for Rice students and alumni who are considering careers in health-related occupations. While most students are familiar with medicine and dentistry, there are many other paths that lead to careers in health care settings, such as pharmacy, optometry, public health, podiatry, physical therapy, and occupational therapy, along with veterinary medicine for individuals who have a desire to work with animals. The OAA aims to expose all interested students to the variety of career opportunities available in the health professions arena, assist students in identification of and participation in appropriate developmental activities in preparation for postgraduate programs, and guide students during the application process.
Health Professions Advising Annual Events
Freshman Health Professions Advising Orientation: Early in the fall semester, the OAA provides an introduction to the health professions and ways to begin preparing early for potential health profession tracks. This presentation is particularly helpful for new, first-year students.
|Wednesday, August 25, 2021 - 6:30 PM|
Sophomore Health Professions Session: Also in the fall semester, the OAA provides information for sophomores who are progressing towards the health professions application process.
|Wednesday, August 25, 2021 - 6:30 PM|
|Open File Information Sessions for Applicants: In early November, the OAA provides detailed information to students who plan to apply to graduate schools of health professions in the upcoming cycle. We provide information on the Open File process, details regarding the Health Professions Advising Committee (HPAC), the application services and timelines, available resources, and much more. We strongly recommend that juniors and seniors planning to apply to medical or dental school attend one of these presentations.||Click here for more information.|
Health Professions Newsletter
Current Rice students and recent Rice alumni may join our health professions newsletter mailing list. If you would like to be added to the mailing list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your First Name, Last Name, Email, and Graduation Date. This newsletter communicates updates and events for students interested in pursuing a career in the health professions.
JAMP, the Joint Admission Medical Program, is a Texas specific program created to support and encourage highly qualified, economically disadvantaged students pursuing a medical education within the Texas Medical School system. Interested applicants should read our information for prospective students.
- Remote ideas for Pre-Health Students
- Health Professions Online Resources List
- National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions Student Resources
- Unpack, Expose, Explore
- Explore Health Careers
- Multiple Mini Interviews List (as of July 2021)
- Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) | Dental Admission Test (DAT)
- Database of Pre-Med Research and Internship Opportunities (curated by Rochester Institute of Technology)
- Recommended Reading for Pre-Health Students (curated by Johns Hopkins University)
- Find student organizations at Rice related to the health professions
- Log your pre-health experiences (Pre-Health Professions Extracurricular Log)
AP Credit List for Medical Schools (as of July 2021)
Test Prep Resources
Health Professions Scholarships
Several Navy Medical Programs scholarships are available for students interested in the armed forces.
- Navy Health Professions Scholarship Program
- Navy Health Services Collegiate Program - Medical Corps and Physician Assistant School
- Nurse Candidate Program
- Medical and Dental Financial Assistance Program
A growing number of Rice students (and pre-professional students across the nation) take time off between their Bachelor's degree and professional degree for a gap year or growth year. Click to learn more.